Saturday 18 April 2015

Triathlon Update: 164 Days To Go

18 APRIL 2015

It's been a few weeks since my last triathlon update, and I wish I could say that I've been so busy training that I just haven't had the time to post about it, but I'd be lying. The fact is I have been busy, but with work, not exercise. So, my waistline has in fact been gradually expanding from 'hard-earned' desk treats rather than shaping up nicely for September = massive fail.

The sun shining over the last couple of weeks has given me some drive and a reason to get out and get fit. I've managed a few runs  - a couple of gentle jogs with the in-laws dogs and a 5.5k run last weekend. But last night I managed to top my personal best for distance and made it a whole 7.5k in 45 minutes - I now feel like Rocky Balboa...


I've never run that far before, so I didn't think I could make it to be honest, but I did notice something last night that has given me a reason to stay positive. Normally when I run, my desperate need for oxygen gets the better of me and I give up, even though my legs still feel fine. Last night, however, I noticed that my breathing settled after about 5k and I no longer felt like I was gasping for air. After that, it was just a case of waiting for my legs to give in. 

I think that means that my body is finally starting to get used to running, so hopefully soon I will be able to run 10k no problem, and 5k should feel easy. Whether I can do 5k after a 400m swim and 20k cycle is another question, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment