Wednesday 30 October 2013

30 OCTOBER 2013
DOMESTIC ABUSE

You might wonder where the topic of domestic abuse comes into the theme of my blog - it doesn't seem to fit, right? Well, I disagree.

This blog is about my life and the creativity and design that inspires me from day to day. Drawing on a 'Quote of the Day' that I published last week, I saw an opportunity to share my views on a subject that not only touches my life as a worker in NHS commissioning, but also affects the lives of so many other women (and men) in the UK - domestic abuse, and the cloud of silence that seems to surround it.

Henri Matisse once said that 'Creativity takes courage', and he couldn't have been more right. In setting up this blog, I found out first hand that any element of design or creativity takes a huge leap of faith. Showcasing your most intimate thoughts and feelings can be incredibly daunting, but with the right encouragement and support, you can learn not to fear the criticism and scrutiny. Much of this comes from believing in yourself - from believing that your work is worthy of the limelight.

In a similar way (although in no way do I attempt to compare the severity of domestic abuse and fear of sharing creativity), victims of domestic abuse often stay quite about their suffering, afraid to speak out against their abusers for fear of the consequences, or in the belief that their abuse is a deserved punishment. One in three women in the UK are victims of domestic abuse, yet you would be forgiven for not knowing this because so few victims talk about their experience. But can you really blame them when their abusers make them feel worthless and that they deserve the treatment they receive? Only by building their self confidence and self worth will victims of domestic abuse find the courage needed to speak out against their abusers.

The question is, how do we do this? I know that the answer won't be simple, that creative and inspirational techniques will need to be employed. On 5th November, I will be attending a steering group, aimed at tackling domestic violence in the West Midlands. I hope to gain some insight into what the region is doing to help victims of domestic abuse find the courage to speak out against their abusers. Either way, I feel this action is positive and should be encouraged. Whatever can be done to tackle this violence epidemic should be shared and applauded.

Check back here after the 5th to find out about my experience at the steering group, and my thoughts on what the West Midlands is doing to tackle domestic abuse. 

1 comment:

  1. Cracking blog Han. Totally agree. I have never understood the psychology of domestice abuse victims believing the violence perpetrated against them is their fault. Any initiatives that educate and encourage victims to believe in the self worth must be applauded

    ReplyDelete